Funeral Planning Businesses cold-calling in Lowestoft
March 21, 2016 Leave a comment
Suffolk Trading Standards have been made aware today, 21st March 2016, of businesses cold-calling in Lowestoft, offering funeral planning services. Whilst this is a perfectly legal method of doing business under normal circumstances, we are concerned by the particular practices being employed by these callers.
According to reports, the representatives of the business have been knocking on doors in the Warren Road and Corton Road area of Lowestoft. Allegedly, the callers are not carrying identification, they are not giving out their names when asked and, most importantly of all, are allegedly making the following claims that are false:
- Their funeral planning services are Government backed
- The Government has passed a law that requires over 60’s to have a funeral plan
To be clear, these claims are incorrect and clearly have the potential to mislead the public.
Suffolk Trading Standards are already working in conjunction with Suffolk Constabulary to investigate these reports as thoroughly and appropriately as possible.
In the meantime, we would offer the following advice, which is true of all unsolicited doorstep calls:
- Do not let the trader into your home
- Always ask for ID
- Contact the business to verify the identity of the caller at your door,
- Find the telephone number yourself – do not rely on contact details given to you by the caller
- Always shop around – don’t be forced into signing a contract at your door. If you are interested in a particular service or product, take your time and obtain at least three quotes before entering into any agreement.
If you have any concerns about the validity of the caller at your door, please report the information to Suffolk Constabulary on 101 or to Suffolk Trading Standards on 03454 04 05 06.